Monday, November 15, 2010

Milwaukee Zine Fest: 2010

Zines, my first love. It was through zines that I got into music & found Riot Grrrl. I often refer to zines when lecturing as "my gateway drug to D.I.Y".

That was why it was so important to check out 3rd annual Milwaukee Zine Fest (the website has a great list of other zine fest events around the world) held at Milwaukee's treasured gem the Polish Falcon. Did I mention I was stopping there on the way to O'Hare to catch a plane to Sweden for Handmade Nation programing?

I dawdled a bit too long lingering over this collection of deadstock buttons from the 70's, picked up a personal zine about natural food cleanses & then trying to pick out which baby food jar filled with found trinkets & treasures + a tiny tiny mini zine I had to have. I ended up with two. The table of prints from the UWM print club trapped me on the way out, I surfaced with a $5 gem that will go into the flat files for now.

Milwaukee Zine Fest: 2010

Milwaukee Zine Fest: 2010

Milwaukee Zine Fest: 2010
Milo & Christopher from QZAP, The Queer Zine Archive Project

Milwaukee Zine Fest: 2010

Milwaukee Zine Fest: 2010

Milwaukee Zine Fest: 2010
Vanessa Andrews

Milwaukee Zine Fest: 2010

Milwaukee Zine Fest: 2010

Milwaukee Zine Fest: 2010

Milwaukee Zine Fest: 2010

Milwaukee Zine Fest: 2010

Milwaukee Zine Fest: 2010

Milwaukee Zine Fest: 2010

I drove Aaron nuts the entire way talking about missing my flight, but in the end of course he was right and I didn't. Here I am blogging from Sweden and keeping it short. Next year, keep an ear to the ground and check this event out.

What's the best thing about zines you ask?

THERE ARE NO RULES!

More photos here.

No comments: