Thursday, February 3, 2011

Bangkok: day one

I left Milwaukee on February 1st avoiding a massive snowstorm by a half of a day. 24+ hours later on February 3rd I arrived in Bangkok. I was met by my amazing hosts Logan & Sandy who took me to the spot they had set up for me to stay while in Bangkok & gave me a quick late night tour of my hood before I passed out at around 3am.

This morning I woke up and ventured out, I was totally intimidated & didn't know what to expect. The food options were beyond overwhelming on the street and I ended up wussing out and opted for "American" fare of eggs and toast. Once I ate I just wandered around aimlessly until I got a early afternoon text message from Logan who ended up not having to work due to Chinese New Year. He gave me directions on where he was and I took my first trip on the Sky Train to meet up with him.

Bangkok

I spent the rest of the day with Logan as my guide, joined later on by his wife Sandy. I ate some amazing things including a sampler of sorbet flavors I didn't even know existed; Gooseberry, Lychee, Lemon Grass, Star Fruit, Coconut Mixed Fruit (included kernels of corn). We made it out to the opening night of "Shortcut To Menancholy Hill" a solo show of mixed media paintings by Thai artist Yuree Kensaku at Tonson Gallery and ended the day sipping cocktails at a super cute bar their friends work at called Shades of Retro. Not bad for my first 24 hours.

First meal in Bangkok I wussed out & got an "American" Breakfast

Bangkok

Bangkok

Bangkok

Bangkok

Bangkok

Bangkok

Bangkok

Bangkok

Bangkok

Bangkok

Bangkok Art & Culture Center

Bangkok

First Bangkok dinner with Sandy + Logan

Bangkok

"Shortcut To Menancholy Hill" opening night exhibition of Yuree Kensaku at Tonson Gallery in Bangkok

Full photo set of day one here.

2 comments:

sweetie pie press said...

amazing. i am very jealous.

the food, though, does sound like tastes of my youth in the pacific rim city of vancouver.

blues said...

Oooh!! What a surprise! I’m going to Thailand next July so i’ll follow you step by step in all your uploads!
Wish you a wonderful experience!!