Sunday, January 9, 2011

Studio Visit: Cassandra Smith

In less than 3 days I will be on my way to Mexico sans computer. I think. I mean, I know. Vacation, computer-less. I probably won't get one single important email, just like when I didn't realize my voice mail wasn't working properly for almost 2 months (thanks lame-o iphone/AT&T) until I wondered why my parents didn't call on my birthday.

Studio Visit: Cassandra Smith

Anyhow, I just spent the last few hours sipping hot toddy's while working on an article for Fiberarts Magazine as well as my weekly Journal Sentinel Art City Snaps column. Aaron is down in Chicago at a skate competition, so I have the house to myself.

This week over on Snaps I wrote about why and how much I love Milwaukee based artist Cassandra Smith's work. She happens to live (and work) just a few blocks from me and I realized even though I blog about her work often, I had never photographed her studio.

Well hello 2011, let's get to work.

Studio Visit: Cassandra Smith

Studio Visit: Cassandra Smith

Studio Visit: Cassandra Smith

Studio Visit: Cassandra Smith

Studio Visit: Cassandra Smith

In case your attention span is too short to go check out the Snaps article, you should know that these antlers are going to be for sale via Print Shop Forever. What's Print Shop Forever? Well, you need to know. It's a new website launching later this month by my friend and collaborator Cortney Heimerl. Cortney is curating this project that is basically going to bankrupt me. Featuring a new artist monthly selling limited edition art objects. Yes, like beautifully hand-painted sequined antlers, and prints, and so on and so on.

Just bookmark the site and if you do the twitter thing follow the project @printshop4ever

The full photo set of Cassandra's studio visit is here.